My Green Card Expired Last Week—Can I Still Fly with I-797 Proof?

Why this question is trending now
Travel delays and renewal backlogs are making this question common. Many arrive at the airport asking, My Green Card Expired Last Week—Can I Still Fly with I-797 Proof? is accepted by CBP when you meet strict conditions.
What the I-797 really means for boarding
This notice shows you filed for a green card or status change. Airlines may accept it with additional documents, such as a valid passport. However, final entry permission remains with CBP officers at the port of entry.
Real expectations at the airport
Studies indicate secondary inspection is common in these cases. Officers review your intent to return and overall eligibility. You might face extra questions or delays compared to a valid permanent card.
Quick takeaway
Use it for air travel only when necessary, with strong supporting ID. Rely on a lawyer for guidance specific to your case and passport type.
FAQ
Q: Can I board a domestic flight using only the I-797?
A: Generally no; TSA and airlines usually require a valid ID, such as a passport, alongside the notice.
Q: Will CBP automatically reject me at the international gate?
A: Not automatically, but you should expect questioning and possible referral to secondary inspection.









